- About this policy
- Our commitment to protecting your privacy
- Personal information
- Whose personal information do we collect?
- What types of personal information do we collect and hold?
- How do we collect personal information?
- Why do we collect personal information?
- How we deal with unsolicited personal information?
- Do you have to disclose your identity when dealing with us?
- Use of personal information
- Disclosure of personal information
- Marketing use and disclosure
- Use or disclosure of sensitive information
- Disclosure of personal information overseas
- How is my personal information kept secure?
- Data quality
- How to contact us
About this policy:
Our commitment to protecting your privacy:
We are committed to protecting your personal information, and ensuring its privacy, accuracy and security. We handle your personal information in a responsible manner in accordance with the Privacy Act 1988 (Act) and the Australian Privacy Principles (APPs).
'Personal information' means information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, whether true or not, and whether or not recorded in a material form.
'Sensitive information' (a type of personal information), means information or an opinion about an individual's race or ethnic origins, political opinions and associations, religious beliefs or affiliations, philosophical beliefs, sexual preferences or practices, trade or professional associations and memberships, union membership, criminal record, health or genetic information or biometric information.
Whose personal information do we collect?
We may collect your personal information from a range of sources, including from you, recruitment agencies, contractors, business partners and government agencies. For example, we may collect your personal information when you request or acquire a product or service from us, provide a service or product to us, apply for employment with us or communicate with us via our website, by e-mail, telephone or in writing.
What types of personal information do we collect and hold?
Allclassifieds collects personal and other information including:
- information about goods and services to be advertised via our website;
- names, addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, payment details, occupation and other information to assist us in conducting our business, providing and marketing our products and services;
- information about staff and directors, as required in the normal course of human resource management and the operation of a business; and
- information about current and previous allclassifieds suppliers and clients with whom allclassifieds has dealings.
- From private users: Users of the website may choose to create a user account, which is necessary to take advantage of some website features. To create a private user account, allclassifieds collects a first and last name, email address, and date of birth. Users also have the option of providing telephone contact details, the name and telephone number of an additional contact, and a street address including suburb. Users may choose to provide, in creating an advertisement, other information such as a description of the available good or service.
- From business users: For an annual fee, users may advertise their businesses in business categories. Users may then place individual ads for particular items or services and their logo and company details will be displayed in those ads. In order to create a business account, allclassifieds collects a first and last name, email address, date of birth, business name, business website (if applicable), business address and suburb, business phone number, and logo. Users also have the option of providing an Australian Business Number, and a Licensed Motor Vehicle Dealer Number. Users have the option of hiding their business address in ads. Users may choose to provide, in describing their business, other information (such as a description of available services).
From site users generally: Site users may browse ads and advertised businesses. Site users may click links in ads entitled, "Contact Advertiser". In order to contact the advertiser, allclassifieds collects the enquirer’s name, email address, a message, and the nature of the enquiry, which enables allclassifieds to email that information to the seller.
Also, users are able to submit online enquiries to allclassifieds. In the online enquiry form allclassifieds collects a contact name, contact phone, contact email, a description of the user as being a member of the public, a current advertiser/dealer, or a person wanting to advertise, and the enquiry. Users may choose to provide a work or mobile phone number. When you submit an online enquiry it generates an email which is forwarded to our customer support email address. We keep a record of your enquiry and details you submitted with it.
- From job applicants: Allclassifieds advertises job vacancies on its website. Allclassifieds will ordinarily collect from an applicant (whether pursuant to an advertisement or unsolicited) a name and street address, contact details, details of current and former employment and education, referee details, and other kinds of information commonly included in curricula vitae. We will keep a record of your job enquiry and all details you submitted with it.
Other: We may collect personal information from you, including your name, address and/or other contact information, gender, occupation, email address and any other information that is relevant to our functions and activities that you choose to give us when you use our website, services, or products.
In addition to those matters expressly set out above, we may collect personal information from service providers and other third parties.
In particular, allclassifieds uses the Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting feature. That enables Google to collect data about visitors to the allclassifieds website via Google advertising cookies and anonymous identifiers. That information includes your age group, interests (based on web history), and location, information about your use of the allclassifieds website (including pages visited, pageviews, and session duration), and information about the software and hardware that the visitor is using to visit the website ("the Google information"). The Google Information is anonymised and allclassifieds does not merge it with any personally-identifiable information. You can opt out of the Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting feature by clicking this link: opt out (link to Google website).
How do we collect personal information?
We only collect personal information by lawful and fair means. We usually collect personal information from:
- face-to-face meetings, interviews and telephone calls;
- business cards;
- electronic communications – for example, e-mails and attachments; forms filled out by people, including as part of acquiring a product or service from us;
- third parties – for example, from recruitment agencies and your representatives or agents, and, in the case of the Google Information, from Google; and
- our website, including if you use it to contact us.
Why do we collect personal information?
We collect the personal and other information (including the Google Information): to enable us to provide advertising services via our website; necessary for us to provide you with the products and services you have requested from us; for marketing purposes and to provide you with information about products and services that may be of interest to you; to improve the products and services we provide; and to enable us to conduct our business, including meeting our legal and regulatory obligations. If you do not provide your personal information, we may not be able to supply the requested product or service, employ you or otherwise deal with you.
How we deal with unsolicited personal information?
If we receive personal information about you that we have not requested, and we determine that we could not have lawfully collected that information under the APPs had we asked for it, we will destroy or de-identify the information if it is lawful and reasonable to do so.
Do you have to disclose your identity when dealing with us?
Where lawful and practicable, we will give you the option of interacting with us anonymously or using a pseudonym.
Use of personal information:
We only use your personal information for the purpose for which it was provided to us, for related purposes or as required or permitted by law. Such purposes include:
- in the ordinary course of conducting our business. For example, providing advertising services via our website, supplying or acquiring products and services, responding to your enquiries and feedback, and providing information about our events, news, publications and products and services that may be of interest to you;
- market research and product and service development, so that we are able to better understand our customers' needs and tailor our future products and services accordingly;
- performing general administration, reporting and management functions. For example, invoicing and account management, payment processing, risk management, training, quality assurance and managing suppliers;
- employment-related purposes, such as recruiting and providing services to staff;
- as part of a sale (or proposed sale) of all or part of our business, or a sale (or proposed sale) of shares in allclassifieds; and
- other purposes related to or in connection with our business, including meeting our legal and contractual obligations to third parties and for internal corporate governance purposes.
Disclosure of personal information:
We may disclose, and you consent to us disclosing, your personal information to third parties:
- to the extent that a website user collects information about goods and services advertised on our website;
- engaged by us to provide products or services, or to undertake functions or activities, on our behalf. For example, processing payment information, managing databases, marketing, research and advertising;
- that are authorised by you to receive information we hold;
- that are our business partners, joint venturers, partners or agents;
- as part of a sale (or proposed sale) of all or part of our business, or a sale (or proposed sale) of shares in allclassifieds. For example, we may disclose information to our external advisers, to potential and actual bidders and to their external advisors;
- such as our external advisers, and government agencies. For example, where disclosure is reasonably required to obtain advice, prepare legal proceedings or investigate suspected unlawful activity or serious misconduct; or
- as required or permitted by law.
Marketing use and disclosure:
We may use and disclose your personal information (other than sensitive information) to provide you with information about our products and services that we consider may be of interest to you. You may opt out at any time if you do not, or no longer, wish to receive marketing and promotional material. You may do this by: contacting us via e-mail or in writing at the address below and requesting that we no longer send you marketing or promotional material; or where applicable, clicking the "Unsubscribe" button.
Use or disclosure of sensitive information:
We will only use or disclose your sensitive information for the purpose for which it was initially collected or for a directly related purpose, as required or permitted by law, or where you consent to the use or disclosure.
Disclosure of personal information overseas:
From May 2014, allclassifieds will have disaster recovery support including use of servers physically located in a data centre in Hong Kong. Information that allclassifieds collects is backed up to, stored on, and retrieved from, those servers.
Also, allclassifieds' electronic mail capability is provided by Google, and email is stored on Google's servers. Google has data centres in the United States, Finland, Belgium, Taiwan, Singapore, and Ireland. Any personal or other information contained in email will be stored in a data centre in one or more of those countries.
Any overseas disclosure does not affect our commitment to safeguarding your personal or other information. Where reasonable in the circumstances, our contracts with overseas recipients oblige them to comply with the APPs and the Act. However, you acknowledge that, in agreeing to the disclosure of your information to overseas recipients, we will no longer be required to take reasonable steps to ensure overseas recipients' compliance with the APPs in relation to your information and we will not be liable to you for any breach of the APPs by those overseas recipients. On this basis, you consent to such disclosure.
How is my personal information kept secure?
We take reasonable steps to protect your personal information from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure. Such steps include: physical security over paper-based and electronic data storage and premises; computer and network security measures, including use of firewalls, password access and secure servers; restricting access to your personal information to employees and those acting on our behalf who are authorised and on a 'need to know' basis; retaining your personal information for no longer than it is reasonably required, unless we are required by law to retain it for longer; and entering into confidentiality agreements with staff and third parties.
Allclassifieds uses a hosting provider for the storage of its information. The hosting provider uses a primary server room in Canberra and a secondary server room in Sydney. From May 2014, allclassifieds' hosting provider's primary server room will be in Sydney and its secondary server room will be in Hong Kong. Secure access to physical servers is controlled by allclassifieds' hosting provider. Access to the information stored on the servers is protected by username/password authentication authorisation schemes.
Data transmissions between allclassifieds' servers and its hosting provider's servers is encrypted using Secure Sockets Layer ('SSL') security mechanisms.
Allclassifieds uses network vulnerability testers to ensure the security of its data. Allclassifieds also uses monitoring devices within its network infrastructure to notify of incursion or attempted incursion.
Where we no longer require your personal information, including where we are no longer required by law to keep records relating to you, we will ensure that it is de-identified or destroyed.
We take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is accurate, complete and up-to-date. However, we rely on you to advise us of any changes or corrections to the information we hold about you. If you consider that the information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, or if your information has changed, please let us know as soon as possible.
You may request access to the personal information we hold about you by contacting us. We will respond to your request within a reasonable time. We will provide you with access to the information we hold about you unless otherwise permitted or required by law. If we deny you access to the information, we will notify you of the basis for the denial unless an exception applies. Where reasonable and practicable, we will provide access to the information we hold about you in the manner you request. No fee applies for requesting access to information we hold about you. However, we reserve the right to charge a reasonable fee where we do provide access.
If you believe that personal information we hold about you is incorrect, incomplete or not current, you may request that we update or correct your information by contacting us. We will deal with your request within a reasonable time. If we do not agree with the corrections you have requested (for example, because we consider that the information is already accurate, up to date, complete, relevant and not misleading), we are not required to make the corrections. However, where we refuse to do so, we will give you a written notice setting out the reasons.
We do not adopt, use or disclose government related identifiers except as required or permitted by law.
If you have a complaint in relation to the collection, storage, use or disclosure of your personal information, please contact our Privacy Officer using the details below. You will need to provide us with details of your complaint, as well as any supporting evidence and information. We will review all complaints received and our Privacy Officer will respond to you. If you are not satisfied with our response, you may discuss your concerns with or complain to the Australian Privacy Commissioner via www.oaic.gov.au.